Does your church need a boost in activity on social media? Why not host a #SocialMediaSunday!
The idea was first started by Carolyn Clement at Trinity Episcopal Church in Tariffville, CT in June. You can read all about it here and here. This weekend, St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Creve Coeur, MO and Trinity Church in Menlo Park, CA also hosted Social Media Sundays.
There are no real rules about how to run a Social Media Sunday, but here are some activities you could consider:
- Adult Forum class introducing ideas on how to evangelize and build community with social media
- Invite members of the congregation to bring smart phones, tablets, and laptops to church (make sure wi-fi is working and accessible, so everyone can get online)
- Create a hashtag for your church, or use a standard one like #Episcopal
- Make real ice cream sundaes at coffee hour 🙂
- Run a social media help-desk where people can ask questions and troubleshoot using social media
We just did an adult forum and discussed social media a bit during announcements. That was more than enough to get everyone interested and enthusiastic about doing more in the future. We are already planning at least three more follow-up classes.